Wednesday, April 9, 2014

WIP Wednesday - April 9th, 2014

I have been busy lately drafting and finishing up some patterns and tutorials which means lots of computer time and less sewing time.  After working on the patterns for a long time my eyes started to cross with all of the quilty math and I had to break away.  In my sewing room, I could have continued working on my many already in progress quilts, but I really felt like playing.

I took the scraps from the double/queen sized quilt I am working on for my son (tentatively named Sea Star), here is some blocks laid out but not yet sewn together...



... and free pieced them into small quilt top (about 13" x 18").  My husband said that it looked like a 70's basement (I was not sure if that was an insult or a compliment).


I decided to do some matchstick quilting using a light grey Aurifil thread after being inspired by some matchstick quilting by Winding Bobbins.  I started by marking a straight line in the middle of the quilt and quilted out from the line using the outer edge of my walking foot (so the lines were about 3/8 of an inch apart).  I then quilted a line between each of those lines and then finally quilted a line between the lines again.



I really like how the mini looks without a binding so my plan is to try facing this quilt instead of binding it.  Hopefully I'll have a finish to show on Friday.

I'm linking up to  Sew Cute Tuesday @ Blossom Heart QuiltsFabric Tuesday @ Quilt StoryLet's Bee Social @ Sew Fresh QuiltsNeedle and Thread Thursday @ My Quilt Infatuation, and WIP Wednesday @ Freshly Pieced.






8 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! this is gorgeous!! I think it must have been a compliment ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I ever saw anything that nice, in a seventies basement....lol. I love your quilting choice and think facing it, will be the perfect finish. Your son's quilt is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you went from a traditional feeling block to something very modern with the same fabrics. I need some new placemats and I feel inspired to try an improv technique.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a sucker for straight line stitching and your matchstick quilting looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the direction of the Sea Star quilt. It will look wonderful! I know what you mean by being cross-eyed from pattern designing and writing. Glad you had some play time too!! I love the fun quilt and the quilting looks awesome. I have yet to see anything that pretty and creative in a 70's basement :)

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all the blues and the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I vote for compliment -I love it! The quilting is really great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. must.get.walking foot!!!!! Love all these progress pics!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!