Friday, May 9, 2014

Scrappy Tiles - Finished

For the majority of my patterns, I start with the design and then figure out the fabrics that would look best with it.  Less often, I start with the fabrics and come up with a design to highlight the fabrics.  It is interesting to start from the two points because the design processes are very different.



Scrappy Tiles came about because I have had a layer cake of Fly a Kite by October Afternoon for Riley Blake sitting in the stash for too long (about 2 years).  Riley Blake layer cakes (or whatever Riley Blake calls them) contain 28  pieces (10" x 10") versus the Moda layer cakes which have 42.   While I loved the line, it always seemed that what had designed needed more than 1 Riley Blake layer cake so back into the fabric cabinet it went time and time again.



One day I took the layer cake out and designed a pattern just for it.  The pattern looks like an randomly pieced tile pattern but is actually a single 12" x 12" block in a 3x4 block arrangement resulting in a toddler sized quilt (36" x 48") using essentially the whole layer cake and no background fabric (yes, no background fabric, a bit different for me).  Scrappy Tiles was born.



I have started drafting a pattern for quilt but it is number 3 on the list so it might be a while before it is ready. If you are interested in testing the pattern, just let me know :)

Have a wonderful weekend!






20 comments:

  1. Lovely use of the fabrics, shows up really well in your close up photos. I know what you mean in chosing a design first or fabric first. It is quite a different process!

    ReplyDelete
  2. gorgeous! such fun fabric and great design!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's going to be a great pattern. Love the scrappy and yet coordinated look!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, Cheryl! I recently learned that charm packs and layer cakes don't all have the same number of fabrics. I wish they make that universal for precisely the reason you noted above. Ugh! Looking forward to seeing your pattern for it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh I do love the look of scrappy quilts - this is so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. An adorable line of fabric. You made perfect use of it. What a totally sweet quilt. Love the scrappy appearance that design results in!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really admire your work. I would love to pattern test this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a cute quilt, Cheryl!! Great use of the layer cake and you also managed to show off the prints so nicely!
    Design process is really so different depending on how you approach. I usually end up designing and then picking out the fabric. Keeps me out of trouble by not buying extra fabric...well...most of the time :-)

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the pattern! You're right; I'd never guess at first glance that this is based on 12 inch blocks. I love that size for baby quilts since usually a 36 x 36 or 36 x 48 seems just about perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the pattern, and would be interested in testing *any* pattern you needed. Well, OK, maybe not absolutely any.
    I am visiting from our new blog discussion group. Isn't this fun?!!
    Lin

    ReplyDelete
  11. so cute, would love to test the pattern for you. I really love block patterns like this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It does look like random and I still don't see the pattern :) Well done. Those fabrics are super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is adorable, glad I found you on Beth's email list,
    SewingWilde

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awwww, such a happy quilt. I would love for this to warm me when I needed it. October Afternoon is always delicious and Riley Blake is always inspiring. I'm glad I found you via Richard and Tanya's Friday Finish. I hope you get lots of sewing time squeezed in this week. :) Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How pretty! I can see why you went to the trouble of designing for the fabric. Patterns that use every square inch of fabric appeal to the "thrifty quilter" in me, and I'm sure I'm not alone. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love how this turned out! I adore those fabrics! :)

    Thank you for linking up to Fabric Frenzy Friday!
    -Lindsey
    Fabric Frenzy Friday

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is lovely and the fabrics are gorgeous. I totally get the different processes, I generally start with a design then get the fabrics, which is probably why I have a fat quarter bundle still waiting to be used... either that or because it's the first I just can't cut into it :o)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!