Friday, January 30, 2015

Sidekick tote

I have been getting my packing list together for QuiltCon next month and I want to travel as homemade as possible so in addition to the one top I have made (see Tova Top in Chicopee), I decided to make an across body bag so I could have my hands free for all the shopping and fun.


After much searching on the internet for bag patterns, reading comments and reviews, and searching for pictures of people's different versions, I settled on the Sidekick Tote by Noodlehead.  Every review I read about Anna's patterns talked about the wonderfully clear written and illustrated instructions and now having used one, I definitely agree.

I made the small version of the tote with the bias trimmed pocket combining Essex yarn dyed linen with a few of the fabrics from the Meadow Mist Designs bundle from Pile O'Fabric:

  • Essex yarn dyed linen in black (Robert Kaufman) - outside of bag and strap
  • Midnight Flora in Navy (Cloud 9 Fabrics) - outside of pocket
  • Script Watermelon (Art Gallery) - lining of pocket and recessed zipper area
  • Line Scratch in Blue (Carolyn Friedlander for Robert Kaufman) - inside of strap
  • Sketch in Fog (Timeless Treasures) - bias trim on pocket
  • Branches in Blue (Carolyn Friedlander for Robert Kaufman) - lining of bag
There were a number of firsts for me in the making of this bag including:
  • recessed zipper
  • magnetic snap
  • bias trim
  • purse strap hardware

The tote actually went together better than I had expected, the only real problem I had was that I repeatedly put the magnetic snaps on the incorrect sides of the pocket and pocket top.  Having to redo the pocket many times at least gave me some practice adding the bias trim around the pocket so that by the 4th time I got pretty decent at it :)  I was the most scared about the recessed zipper installation, but happily the zipper went in with absolutely no problems.


I made a just a few changes to the pattern, the biggest change being the interfacing.  The pattern calls for Pellon 101 (I did not have any of) which gives the bag a loose slouchy feel.  I really like a well structured bag so instead of the 101, I used Pellon 808 and Pellon fusible fleece on the outside of the tote and lined all of the other parts of the bag with Pellon 808.  I really like the stiffness in the finished bag (no slouching here), but it did make for some really thick seams to sew over.  The only other change I made was to add an additional pocket on the inside. 


I am very happy with how my new bag came out and am proudly using it at work and around town.  I hope to meet as many of you as I can at QuiltCon :)  






21 comments:

  1. definitely my favourite bag I have ever made! Yours looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colors, I just wish I was more confident about doing bags, they scare me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great finish, well done! Have a good time at QuiltCon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will keep an eye out for this beautiful bag so I can introduce myself in person at QuiltCon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your bag is an inspiration. Great finish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice job! I would never have guess you conquered so many firsts with this bag...it looks like it was made by someone who had used the pattern plenty of times before. I hope you'll be sharing lots of pictures from QuiltCon for those of us who won't be there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful bag! I will be looking for it (and you!) at QuiltCon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks really lovely. I know you wanted to travel as homemade as possible, but this bag looks professionally made, to me :) It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your tote turned out very professional. It is a lovely finish. It is amazing how the different types of interfacing can change the look of a project. I do not like my bags too slouchy. Have fun at Quilt Con.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great colors! Love the pocket on the outside. Have you tried Soft and Stable batting! It is wonderful for bags. Also, on the "By Annie" website, Annie has a series of free tutorials on a very easy zipper installation. I love her method and its my go to method - I make quilted tote bags that I sell wholesale to a specialty shop.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Also, I will be at QuiltCon as well. I will look for your bag and maybe we'll meet up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh it is lovely. Interesting about the interfacing - I think choosing the right interfacing (when I can't even get it where I live!) is what puts me off the most about making bags!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE your new bag! The colors and construction are fabulous. You made the right choice on interfacing, it looks so much better with more structure.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a great bag. I'm very jealous about you going to QuiltCon. Have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great job, Cheryl! Yours look fantastic! Now this bag is going on my ever-growing list. Thanks, friend :)

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely choices. Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your bag is beautiful. I need to get some of that linen fabric for my next bag. Found you through the SewCanShe feature of your bag. I love Anna's patterns and own most of them. She makes the coolest bags and her pattern instructions are so easy to follow. I was planning to tackle this bag next. Thanks for the inspiration and sharing your beautiful version of the bag.
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  18. For three months his every move was captured in the cheap ted baker dresses Big Brother house, so it comes as no surprise that Ryan Ginns is comfortable in front of a camera. The 26-year-old is currently working on a ted baker dresses sale project for Contiki Tours with a fellow Australian reality star, The Amazing Race winner Nathan Jolliffe. The pair have revealed a glimpse of their trip on social media, ted baker outlet which shows them running down a laneway in Barcelona.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very nice! I have never sewn with the Essex linen, will have to put that on my wish list.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!