Thursday, June 4, 2015

Midnight Mystery Quilt - Fabric Selection.

Welcome to the start of the Midnight Mystery Quilt!!  I am so excited to get started and I hope you are too!


Quilt-a-long Intro

The Midnight Mystery Quilt will run from June 2015 until March 2016 with a set of directions revealed the first Thursday of every month. The mystery quilt will finish at approximately 72" x 72", a very nice lap size and is an advanced beginner level containing half square triangles, square in a square units, flying geese, and basic patchwork.  (There is no applique, Y-seams, or paper piecing in the pattern.)

The directions will be posted to this blog (and can always be found in the Mystery Quilt tab above) and e-mailed to the mystery quilt distribution list.  Want to be added to the e-mail list? Simply add a comment to this post (with your e-mail if you are a no reply blogger) or send an e-mail to me at cheryljbrickey (at) gmail (dot) com to get a more printer friendly version of the monthly instructions.

Please share your progress pics on social media with the hashtag #MidnightMysteryQuilt.

And now onto June's instructions...Fabric Selection.

Fabric Requirements: 

The Midnight Mystery quilt uses 4 Fabric Sets (A, B, C, and D). For each of these sets you may use a single fabric or a combination of fabrics.  Listed below are the amounts of fabric needed for each set if using a single fabric per set.  In parenthesizes is listed the color I am going to use to represent the fabric set in future months' instructions.

Fabric Set A – 1 yard (Shown as pink in the future pattern instructions)
Fabric Set B – 1 ¼ yards (Shown as yellow in the future pattern instructions)
Fabric Set C – 1 ⅞ yards (Shown as purple in the future pattern instructions)
Fabric Set D – 2 ⅛ yards (Shown as white in the future pattern instructions)

(For the Un-mystery quilters: in the sneak peek picture I sent out, the yellow was fabric A, the dark blue was fabric B, the white was fabric C, and the gray was fabric D.)

Fabric Selection Tips:

To help ensure that you are happy with the final quilt design here are some fabric selection tips and hints:

1.   Fabrics A and B will be next to each other, Fabrics B and C will be next to each other, and Fabrics C and D will be next to each other.  Please test these fabric set pairs to make sure there is enough distinction and contrast between the fabric sets.

2.   If you are going to go with a scrappy look for any of the fabric sets, some of the fabric in the sets will require larger fabric cuts (up to 19” wide) so make sure you have larger scraps to cut from.

3.  The fabric yardage amounts listed above are for a single fabric, if using a combination of fabrics for the fabric sets, please add ½ to 1 additional yard due to cutting waste.

4.  Need help choosing?  Just e-mail me and I will help you through the fabric selection process.

Midnight Mystery Quilt Kits:

Nervous about selecting the fabrics?  Pile O'Fabric is offering Midnight Mystery Quilt Kits in two colorways which include all of the fabrics needed (6 7/8 yards total) to make the quilt top and the binding (backing not included).  Each of the kits are $52 with free shipping within the domestic US.  I will posting later on today more information about the kits including which color corresponds to which fabric set.


Just a Few Additional Announcements:

1.  Button - I have made a button for the mystery quilt :)  If you decide to join in on the quilt-a-long and have a blog I would love it if you posted the button.

Meadow Mist Designs Mystery Quilt 

2.  Prizes - We will have a bunch of prizes for the quilt reveal in March 2016 (these will be randomly given away).  The sponsors of the Midnight Mystery Quilt are The Bear Creek Quilting Company, Pile O'Fabric, and Meadow Mist Designs.  Details on what each are giving away can be found in the sponsors post here.

3.  The Un-Mystery Quilt - Want to join in the fun but making a mystery quilt is not your thing?  If you would like to see the final pattern to decide whether to join in, or to help pick colors; simply e-mail me and I will send you a sneak peak (the only rule is that you have to keep the design completely to yourself as to not spoil anyone else's surprise).

4.  Facebook Group - I would love to know if there is interest in creating a Facebook group around the Mystery Quilt (and other Meadow Mist Designs patterns).  Please let me know if you would be interested in joining a Facebook group to share progress pictures and connect with other mystery quilters.

Wow, I hope that was not too much information for one post, I am looking forward to quilting along with you!




97 comments:

  1. I am excited. I might even cut into my Lizzy House! Maybe. I am so tempted to remove the mystery, but I want a surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to be added to the email list.! cindy_schroeder@hotmail. com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made a pact wish myself that I would only use my stash this year to make things from. But I am totally treating myself with some new fabric for this project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very excited about this Cheryl! I'm glad we have some time to choose our color palette because I am ping ponging in several directions. The Pile O'Fabric Kits are a really great deal too! Ping, Pong, Ping.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so excited to make my fabric selections today! Hurray!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sign me up for the e-mailed version please! Chelsea (dot) m (dot) west (at) gmail.com

    Also, a Facebook group would be great! I am in kne now for another quilt along and it had been great to scroll through and see what everyone is doing and ask/answer questions.

    So excited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read this back and realized it was vague. Please sign me up for e-mail updates. I do NOT want to see the mystery quilt ahead of time. Thank you!

      Delete
  7. Please add me to the list for email updates, and would love to see a Facebook or Flickr page for the quilt along! Thanks! bredf331@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely would love to be on the email list - I'm horrid at checking blogs! kbaird0903 at gmail. I'd also be very interested in a FB group.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Please add me to the email list! Also, if I were to make just one of these fabrics a focus fabric and everything else solids or tone on tone, which fabric from the set do you think would be best for a focus fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am excited about the new challenge of a new mystery quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Cheryl...I love mystery quilts! I would like to cheat just a little though and see a sneak peak if I could....just to help me with color selection.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm very excited about this - it's my first quilt along! I'd be interested in a FB group.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love to receive the email updates. This is my first quilt-a-long as well and excited to get started. Still working on my fabric selections.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the color choices for your new mystery. Please add me to you email update list. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would love to be added to the list. Looks like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds like so much fun, Cheryl! I would like to be added to your email list, too, and a sneak peak would be awesome. I'll spread the word on my blog as well. Here's the best email for me: julie_cefalu at att dot net

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've been so busy I almost missed this. Thanks for showing sample fabrics, it gives an idea.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would like to see a peek at the design please susanlock at shaw dot ca

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks great, I would love to participate, could you please add me to the email list, thank you. jandy_10 at hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looking forward to this QAL! Please add me to the email list ... newsteadecs at carolina dot rr dot com.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Me too. Please add me to your email list. My email is lilyk@hawaii.rr.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Please add me to the list of sleuths :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Please add me to your email list. My email is quiltmama55@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am so interested in this mystery quilt!!! Please sign me up. My email is dorothymb1@gmail.com. Am ready to begin.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am so interested in this mystery quilt!!! Please sign me up. My email is dorothymb1@gmail.com. Am ready to begin.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've just add your buttom to my blog! Please add me to your email list. I'm ishisi@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm in this is going to be fun, please add me to your list. bjenson@bresnan.net . Thank you for doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Please please, add me to the email list!!! Fun times!! Worthington_cindy@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. I have never done a mystery quilt. Have tons of fabric to choose and use.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Please add me to the list of participants in the Mystery Quilt-along! I thank Julie Cefalu of The Crafty Quilter for introducing me to this project! 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Please add me to the list : cmo56401@gmail.com
    Also would like a sneak peek.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Yay sounds fun - emails please cathycrafts2010@gmail (.com). Facebook is always fun too !

    ReplyDelete
  33. Sounds like fun. Please add me to the list. bonnielarson58@gmail.com. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  34. I don't promise to keep up, but i'll try!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I would love to join the mystery! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  36. I would love to join the mystery quilt
    kmbanks@shaw.ca

    ReplyDelete
  37. It should be interesting. Please add me to the list. algleaton@knology.net

    ReplyDelete
  38. Could you please add me to the email list for this mystery quilt along. I would appreciate it, it looks like fun!
    My email is: bestbelle2010@aol.com
    Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love working a mystery quilt. It's a fun way to meet others who like the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I would love to join. Please use this email: deltab2122@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  41. Sign me up! Sounds like fun and doable!
    sandyzoo45@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  42. Thanks for adding me.
    jennieb@bex.net

    ReplyDelete
  43. Sounds like fun--please add me to the group: mbeach128@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  44. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Looks like a lot of fun - please add me to the list: meredith5453@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  46. Please add me to the email list? I will also add your button to my blog...Irene-grimes@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  47. Please add me to the email list. I am excite to get my fabric and start. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Oh this sounds like fun. I haven't done a mystery in years. Will you send me the updates so that I may play also? I'll add your button to my side bar. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  49. I'll try this out. I've never done a mystery, but my one quilting goal is, "Do everything!" It would be nice to work through some stash fabric that I bought impulsively and don't have a plan for. Please add me to the list. karen.a.bolan at gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  50. Replies
    1. Hi Quiltlady - You are a no-reply blogger so I could not add you to the e-mail distribution list or reply to your comment through e-mail. Please send me your e-mail address to cheryljbrickey (at) gmail (dot) com and I will add you :)

      Delete
  51. Sign me up this sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
  52. I would love to try a mystery quilt a long. I just retired so one of my goals is to increase my quilting. Hopefully this is just the thing to try! My email is ramona_murray(at)comcast(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  53. Email with a sneak peak as well as postings please. itzsewme@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  54. Email with a sneak peak as well as postings please. itzsewme@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  55. Email with a sneak peak as well as postings please. itzsewme@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  56. Please add me to the email list: I'm afraid to miss an instalment. And now to look out some fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  57. I would love to make this, and would like to be added to your email list. I also would like a sneak peek. Thanks so much!
    Diane
    redmfields at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  58. Tried to comment before. I would love to be added to your email list cherilyn (dot) reno (at) gmail (dot) com.

    ReplyDelete
  59. This sounds fun, I would like to be added to yor email list. serenadennis at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  60. Is it too late to be added to the email list?
    doyleajackie AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  61. I would like to be to join, love mystery quilts!!! I do like Facebook for sharing progress, it seems easier to me:). Can't wait, kaselfamily1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  62. Please add me to your email list: institchesquiltinginc@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  63. Please add me to the email list and send a sneak peak. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  64. Please add me to the list! I'd love to join in. pamelaaallen at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete

  65. Please add me to your email list this looks fun quilytiff@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  66. canyou please ad to the 2015-2016 quilt along

    edwards.home130@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  67. I've never done a Mystery Quilt before. Please add me to the email list. I'm looking at fabric right now!!! quiltnparty@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  68. Anxious to join my first mystery quiltalong...and midnight is my favorite project time, so I love the name! Please add me to the email list. kmstand (at) gvtc (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  69. Please add me to your mystery quilt along group.

    ReplyDelete
  70. Hi! I am planning on joining in and would like to say that I do think having a Facebook group would be fun! Yay!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  71. Sounds fabulous! Please add me to the list!!!

    ReplyDelete
  72. Also, I would really like the printer friendly version, if possible. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  73. Please sign me up for the mystery quilt for 2015/16 pattern. Printer friendly of, course.

    ReplyDelete
  74. I would love to join in if it isn't too late.

    ReplyDelete
  75. I'm ready...Sara ,from Italy

    ReplyDelete
  76. Oh please add me to the e mail list.
    And yes, yes, yes please do a facebook so I can show my progress.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  77. Is it still possible to join in on the Mystery QAL? And if the answer is yes, could you add me to the email list :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  78. Would like a sneak peak please. Thank you. Looking forward to this project. bgranny77@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  79. Please add me to the mystery email list. jadavn@aol.com
    Thanks. I love mysteries and just discovered your site. Looked at last year's and loved it. Can't wait to try this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  80. Please add me to the list. itgal2003@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  81. Please add me to the email list. Thank you.

    Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  82. A Facebook group would be nice to have to see everyone's fabric choices, progess and questions/answers. My fabric is chosen and I'm looking forward to the Mystery steps.

    ReplyDelete
  83. sign me up for the email version (email list). This is so exciting. bettyharden@charter.net

    ReplyDelete
  84. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  85. Please add me to your email
    List for the instructions. May I get the earlier
    Instructions please? Djps1957@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  86. Yes please for email instruction. weeaggiebagwash@googlemail.com. Quite excited lol. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  87. I love mystery quilts! Please add me to the mailing list. Time to cruise my stash and choose fabric :)

    ReplyDelete
  88. Please add me to your list jennyqualls@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  89. Please add me to your email list.
    Justtrix515@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  90. Please add me to your email list.
    Justtrix515@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  91. I just found this mystery. Looks great! please add me to your email list. cwknitnut@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  92. Hi Cheryl
    Even it is december, I would love to be added to your email list for a printerfriendly version of this quiltalong!
    Is it possible to send the first parts also printerfriendly? It looks great!
    sunny greetings from Tunisia
    morgaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to Morgaine but as you are a no-reply blogger I have no way of writing back to you or finding out your e-mail address. If you send me an email to cheryljbrickey (at) gmail (dot) com I will add you. Thanks!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!